The quintessential, fresh and crisp tequila cocktail – Margarita is a vibrant classic cocktail that smacks of summer parties, lighthearted fun and full-on flavour. Check out our quick and easy Classic Margarita recipe.
WHAT IS A MARGARITA?
Margaritas combine the bright, Summery flavours of tequila, orange liqueur, and fresh lime juice, and are often served in glasses with salt encrusted rims for added punch.
Like many classic cocktails, the true origin of the Margarita is lost to the annals of history, however it is largely believed that the recipe is influenced by the classic 1930s cocktail “Daisy” (“margarita” means “daisy” in Spanish), which calls for tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and a splash of soda served over shaved ice.
RECIPE: CLASSIC MARGARITA
Bright, Fresh, Citrus
INGREDIENTS (Serves 1)
60 ml blanco tequila
25 ml orange liqueur (such as Cointreau, Grand Marnier or Triple Sec)
25 ml fresh lime juice
15 ml simple syrup or agave syrup (optional – for a sweeter Margarita)
Garnish – lime wheel and salt (optional)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. If you are opting for a salt rim, sprinkle some salt on a small plate. Rub a wedge of lime on the rim of your glass, then roll the glass through the salt until the rim is covere
2. Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake until cold
3. Strain the mix into the prepared glass over fresh ice and garnish with the lime wheel
- The most well-known variation is the frozen margarita – the perfect treat for a hot Summer’s day. To make this adult slushie, blend the above wet ingredients with around 170 g of ice. Serve with lime wheel (and salt rim)
- If you’re keen to spice things up a bit, muddle a jalapeño pepper and fresh coriander leaves in the cocktail shaker before you add the wet ingredients. Follow the rest of the above instructions and enjoy a little picante kick to your margarita